After another beautiful darshan of Devi and Shiva in the morning at Madurai Meenakshi temple, we left Madurai by 9.30 and drove straight into Munnar by about 2PM. The drive into Munnar is beautiful once you are climbing the hill. We spent two nights at Munnar and here are some impressions:
- Munnar is stunningly beautiful, neither the words nor the photographs can do justice to it.
- We soaked in every bit of the moment out there and loved it.
- It was a long weekend and the place was terribly crowded with traffic jams all over the place. Still didn’t deter us from enjoying the place.
- There are lot of sight seeing places in and around Munnar and like all other tourist places filled with shops and consequently dirt and filth. The lake near Echo Point for example is being dumped by roadside food and coconut shells spoiling the beauty of the place. Same state of affairs at other places too.
- If only the administration puts an entry fee and does its bit to keeping the place clean and provide some loos for the tourist – but this is asking for too much, isn’t it?
- The drive to Chinnar wildlife sanctuary is breathtakingly beautiful.
We then drove off from Munnar to Kerala on our way to the most beautiful vacation place we have been to….but that is in the next installment.
- The drive from Munnar to Mannarkkad is beautiful as long as you are in the 50kms radius of Munnar.
- As we descent the hills and move into TN state highways, the landscape changes and we again come face to face with the harsh realities of TN highway signboards – all of which are only in Tamil.
- We turn on the Google Maps, Navigate function and rely on all through our commute within the towns and through TN and Kerala. Maps on phone is God send gift.
- We enter Kerala and realize that there are no National Highways in God’ own country.
- Kerala roads, I think are one big bazaar street. The driving hours on maps do not make any sense for Kerala roads.
- Toddy, Bakery and Gold shops are the only three things constant as one drives through Kerala. Hear that Car Showrooms are another constant further down south in Kerala.
- We did a night halt at KTDC Tamarind in Manarkkad and loved the place – the guys managing it are customer friendly and we got to eat some real good dinner and breakfast at the place.